Upper School Arts
The visual and performing arts programs offer opportunities for students to try new skills and develop interests and abilities through advanced level courses. Visual arts offerings include ceramics, drawing and painting, film and photography, and graphic design. Performing arts offerings include theater, dance, and vocal and instrumental music. Our expert and enthusiastic teachers encourage creativity, self expression, and skill development in their fields.
Chadwick's graduation requirement in the visual and performing arts combined is one and a half years during grades 9 - 12. The first year must be a full-year course from the UC-accredited list below, not including Art History. Students who do not wish to take another full-year course can obtain the "half year" credit through a semester-long visual arts course, OR through a five-point combination of any of the following activities across the four high school years:
- Chorus, Ovations, Jubilee Singers, or Orchestra (2 pts per semester or 5 pts for the year)
- Dance Company (2 pt per trimester) or Choreography (1 pt per trimester) unless this activity is receiving PE credit
- Stage Crew (2 pts per semester or 5 pts for the year)
- Participation in either the fall play (2 pts), the winter musical (2 pts) or the Improv group (2 pts per semester or 5 pts for the year)
- Service as editor-in-chief of Mainsheet, the Yearbook or Soundings (5 pts for the year)
The following full-year courses are accredited in the University of California's Arts category: Studio Art 1, 2, 3 & AP, Ceramics 1, 2, 3 & AP, Photography or Media Arts 1, 2, 3 & 4, Theater 1, 2 & 3, Stagecraft, AP Music Theory, Advanced Music Composition, Concert Choir, and AP Art History.